Asoo D Yaji
This research study is within the Food and Markets Department and there is an opportunity of spreading the research studies between the post-harvest and the chemical ecology groups at NRI where studies will concentrate on characterising the volatile signatures associated with disease development in apple caused by the fungal pathogen Neonectria ditissima. This will be followed by more detailed genetic analysis of disease progression at NIAB-EMR where Asoo will be able to learn classical plant pathology techniques blended with advanced genetic analysis identifying potential genes of interest that might confer resistance to important orchard borne infections such as Neonectria spp. It is hoped that potential gene markers can be identified that may contribute to selection of new breeding material with improved resistance to the infection both in the field and infections of stored fruit.
Asoo is an international student from Nigeria who joined NRI as a full time Post Graduate Research Student in February 2020. She has a first Degree in Biology (B.Sc.) with First Class Honours which she obtained from Benue State University, Makurdi, Nigeria in 2009 and an M.Sc. with Distinction in Molecular Biology which she obtained from the University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield in 2014.
Her Research interest focuses on biological control of post harvest losses of crops particularly fruits due to storage rot caused by fungal pathogens.
- Yaji, A.D., Fayum, K.T. and Onah, I.E. (2019). Survey of Gastrointestinal Parasites of Sus scrofa domesticus (Domestic Pig) in Ushongo Local Government Area, Benue State, Nigeria. Nigerian Annals of Pure and Applied Sciences, 1, 49-56.
- Omudu, E.A., Yaji, A.D., Onah, E.I. and Okoh, M.E. (2016). Comparative Survey of Ectoparasites Infestation of Live Stock Cohabiting with Humans and those Sold in Some Markets in Makurdi, Benue State. Nigerian Journal of Entomology, 32:85-91.
- Omudu, E.A., Yaji, A.D., Adobunu, E.S. and Thomas, T.R. (2015). Studies on some Human Factors Influencing Ectoparasite Infestation on Livestock Reared within Residential Apartments in Makurdi. Nigerian Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences, 7:23-29.
- Omudu, E.A., Yaji, A.D. and Thomas, D.A. (2015). Current Status of Bedbug Infestation and its Control Practices in some Major Towns in Benue State, Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences, 7:30-38.
- Vice Chancellor’s Prize for Best Graduating Student (2008/2009)
- Dean’s Prize for Best Graduating Science Student (2008/2009)
- HOD’s Prize for Best Graduating Student in the Department (2008/2009)
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Member Entomological Society of Nigeria (ESN)
- Member Parasitology and Public Health Society of Nigeria (PPSN)